North India’s most important Hindu festival, Diwali, has left Delhi covered in a toxic smog, posing a serious threat to local residents and tourists in the area. The festival, which takes place every year, celebrates the victory of good over evil.

The toxic smog is thought to have been caused by burning firecrackers which were set off throughout the celebrations, despite the Supreme Court putting a restriction in place to only have firecrackers burning for two hours.

India is known for poor air quality and the capital currently ranks the sixth worst place in the world for pollution.

Reports have shown that the toxic smog has caused the air quality to measure a shocking 526, pushing the pollution levels to severe.

It is not yet known how long it will take for the toxic smog to clear.

Those due to travel to the area should be aware of the health risks, and wear a mask where appropriate to prevent the toxic smog from entering the lungs. If visitors have existing medical conditions, especially respiratory issues, it may be best to consult their GP before travelling to the area.