Air Italy has recently announced it will be closing down due to financial losses, however, passengers with future bookings will be protected against financial failure.

Qatar Airways part-owns 49 per cent of the airline, whilst the remaining 51 per cent is owned by the Alisarda company.  Air Italy has now stopped trading on account of its unprofitability; according to The Independent, “in 2018, its average fare was around €142, but it made a loss of €82 for every passenger it flew.”

The airline was also heavily impacted by the grounding of the Boeing 737 Max, which made up three of the jets in its fleet.

Air Italy has released a statement on its website regarding the process for passengers who have already booked flights:

“From 11 to 25 February 2020 including all Air Italy flights will be operated by other carriers at the times and on the days already scheduled; all passengers who have booked flights departing or arriving after February 25 will be re-protected or fully refunded.” For more information, take a look at Air Italy’s website.

Although the airline has grounded all flights, passengers will still be able to make journeys operated “by other carriers at the times and on the days previously scheduled” until 25th February 2020.

Passengers who have future bookings with the airline, and who have booked through a travel agent or tour operator, should contact the company directly to discuss a refund, or to make alternative travel arrangements.

Those who have booked their flights independently should contact Air Italy directly who will either provide a full refund or alternative travel arrangements as stated on their website.

In the unlikely event, holidaymakers are unable to recover costs from their airline or tour operator, they may be able to claim through their travel insurance, provided their policy offers cover for ‘End Supplier Failure’ or ‘Scheduled Airline Failure’