Since the UK left the European Union, the rules for travelling abroad have changed and British tourists who are not aware of the new entry rules for Spain could face a hefty fine. As well as having a valid return ticket or a ticket for onward travel, British passport holders must now also ensure they carry proof of accommodation for the duration of their trip.

Regardless of whether you’re staying in a hotel, hostel, Airbnb or a relative/friend’s house, if your trip is 90 days or less you will need to produce evidence of your pre-booked accommodation at border control once you reach Spain. According to the Government Travel Advice website, the following documents will be accepted:

  • Booking confirmation from a hotel, hostel, Airbnb, etc
  • Proof of address if you are visiting your own property in Spain
  • An invitation or proof of address if you are staying with family, friends or a third party.

While this sounds relatively easy, it is important to note the ‘invitation’ or ‘carta de invitation’, as it’s otherwise known, must be obtained by the host from the local police. The host must also be either a Spanish national, EU citizen living in Spain or a non-EU citizen with legal residence.

If you are the one letting your home in Spain to a friend or family member, whether you are charging or not, it is important to remember it is your responsibility to provide them with the ‘letter of invitation’ or ‘carta de invitation’. You can download the request form on the Spanish Ministry of Interior Website (the website is in Spanish, but you can translate to English).

Arriving without proof of accommodation could leave you facing a fine of up to £8,000.

In addition, non-EU residents travelling to Spain must ensure their passport complies with the new rules. Your passport will need to be less than 10 years old before the date you enter Spain and valid for three months after the day you leave Spain.

Not having the correct documentation to enter a country can have devastating consequences. More likely than not, you will be refused entry. In some cases, you will be ordered to pay a fine. In both situations, you will find yourself considerably out of pocket.

While travel insurance is there to protect you from financial loss should the worst happen before or during your trip, you will not be covered if you are refused entry due to not having to correct documentation. This includes passports, visas and any other entry requirements. We recommend you check the Government’s Travel Advice website before booking your holiday and again before you are due to travel to ensure you are up to date with the latest rules and regulations.

If you have any questions regarding your travel insurance, feel free to drop us an email and a member of our team will get back to you.